As winter approaches, it is important to maintain your oral health. Follow these tips to keep you (and your mouth) happy!
- A very common problem experienced by many, sensitive teeth can lead to discomfort when encountering cold air or eating cold or hot food and drink.
- Use a sensitive toothpaste, such as Sensodyne to help reduce the sensitivity of your teeth. After brushing, avoid or minimize rinsing to maximize the toothpaste’s effectiveness.
- Do no over-brush. Over-brushing your teeth causes the loss of tooth enamel which protects the surface of your teeth.
- Try using a soft-bristle toothbrush as well as applying less pressure to your teeth when brushing to avoid tooth enamel erosion.
- Minimize acidic drinks. Although it is holiday season, minimizing your teeth’s exposure to acidic drinks such as juices, wines and soda will prevent increased sensitivity and stop your tooth enamel from softening. If you must however, be sure to consume the drink with a straw to minimize contact with your teeth.
Gum Inflammation and Infection
- Along with winter comes a compromised and weakened immune system, leading to a higher chance of your gums becoming inflamed and potentially infected. To combat this, ensure that you maintain, if not improve your oral hygiene during the winter months by preventing the build-up of plaque and bacteria. Be sure to brush at least twice a day, floss and stay hydrated!
By following these simple tips you will be able to enjoy winter without any discomfort or pain in your mouth. Remember to follow and like Dr. Sunny Tatra on Twitter, Facebook and Google+ to stay up to date with the latest news and tips! To book an appointment with Dr. Sunny Tatra and his team, phone +1 250 590 0166, email, or fill out the online appointment form!